Friday, May 9, 2008

Friday Night in Metro DC

So it's Friday night, and I hadn't intended to leave the house at all hoping to connect with a colleague so that we could chat about an upcoming conference in Paris that she and I are attending. But she didn't place the call and my son needed a ride, so I dressed and left the house.

I'm sitting in Busboys and Poets in Shirlington. It's not as nice as the one in DC, but I didn't have the energy to drive into the District and hunt, and then fight, for a parking space, so I've kept my behind in the dreaded suburbs of northern Virginia. (My friends in Maryland and the District will not cross the Potomac river into Virginia).

Just saw a gentleman who reminded me so much of a high school sweetheart. Almost spoke to the gentleman, but decided that being forward is so out of character for me, so I let him pass by. Besides, he only reminded me of a high school sweetheart which would have been the only reason why I would have spoken. Oh, well.

My son tells me that I need to get a life, that is, "mom, I'm going soon, what will you do with yourself?" I've contemplated this question before, and I thought that I was cool with him leaving, but suddenly the house seems too large, too quiet, and too empty. Oh, no, what's happening to all of my plans about being free and single?

No comments: