Thursday, January 31, 2008

Lazy Day

I apologize for posting so late in the day. It has been a rather lazy day for me. I work all day on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, so I tend to relax on Tuesday and Thursday. But today I took relaxation to another level.

I awakened at 5:00 a.m. to get David Malik up. He wanted to finish some homework before going to school. He's so self sufficient that I no longer prepare breakfast. I climbed back into bed under my down comforter, and hardly lifted my head when he came to my door at 6:38 a.m. to let me know that he was leaving for school.

When I awakened again, it was 9:05 a.m. I never sleep this late unless I am sick; motherhood cured me of sleeping until 12:00 p.m. I jumped out of bed and quickly showered because I had a 10:00 a.m. massage scheduled. After 1 1/2 hours having my muscles kneaded, I rose and made my way to my favorite grocery store, Balducci's. Since I hadn't had breakfast, I decided to stop in the restaurant next door to the grocery store: Farrah Olivia. Farrah Olivia is owned by an Ethiopian chef. He doesn't serve Ethiopian cuisine, but an amalgam of French and American, but with those nice eastern and northern African spices added to the food. Hum, lunch was good as I lingered over the City Paper and dug my spoon into the creme brulee.

My son disturbed my leisurely and decadent day with a text message beckoning me to be home when he returned from school because he needed school supplies, undoubtedly for a project that is due tomorrow. But hey, he's in the 12th grade and has been admitted to Howard University, so I don't fuss with him anymore. Instead of hovering over him and worrying about his project, I asked him once if he needed any help. He responded, "no." So I promptly went upstairs, undressed, and climbed into the bed for a long, mid-afternoon nap.

Wow, it was such a decadent day.

1 comment:

E. said...

Wow.

You had a better birthday on the 31st than I did!!

Let's switch days. (smile)