Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Forget about the Economy, Enjoy a Walk

I awakened this morning determined not to listen to C-Span on the radio or tune in to NPR, but to grab my journal, book, and purse and head to the neighborhood Starbucks and write. I accomplished this goal. Hurray! I was almost tempted to grab the Washington Post as the glaring headline, "Feds Nationalize Banks," or something to that effect, arrested my eyes. But I didn't; I got my mocha and sat down to a peaceful morning. To hell with it all, my mother told me that I'd never retire; I believe her now.

Fall is upon us. I walked around the pond this morning to check out the leaves changing and the snapping turtles meandering along the waters. The sap in the pine trees is running and the mushrooms are large and have the oddest shapes. The air is just right, not too cool and not too warm, but perfect for a fall walk. I wanted to take a path along the brook, but as I walked with Luther Vandross crooning from my ipod, the path led me deeper and deeper into a densely forested area. Now I knew eventually the path would dump out into either a subdivision or a paved trail or asphalt walkway, but I wasn't feeling it, so I turned back. I suspect that the children in the neighborhood have worn this path through the forest, trying to find a quicker access to the clubhouse and shopping center. Perhaps with a companion one day, I will walk the path and see where it leads me.

Enjoy this day, and if it is as gorgeous where you are as it is in metro DC, forget the damn economy and go for a walk.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the nature trail at Ft. Belvoir...lots of wild life to see..blue herons, turtles, ducks, frogs... Come with me sometime. And yesterday I was noticing the gardens and the trees in Old Town, Alexandria. Even the old bricks in the sidewalks seemed beautiful with the various colors of reds, perples and black layered with red and copper leaves and GORGEOUS huge acorns.
Judy

Anonymous said...

I meant PURPLES.
:-)

M.L. Simms said...

Judy, I have to go to the nature trail at Ft. Belvoir. Maybe we can do this together. I enjoyed the walk we took some years ago at Ft. Belvoir.

E. said...

Peace,

I too love a good mocha. I have one now!

Just wish it was like the Alafia lounge with those books and drums as opposed to Starbucks.

This town is rich nature and one can easily get lost on trails to the unknown....