Friday, April 4, 2008

All's Quiet on the Eastern Front

Besides April showers in metro DC, all is quiet and uneventful. My son pulled his first all nighter; he was working on a project for English. Of course, he didn't ask for my help. What can I say? I'm very proud that he is independent. But I also know that sometimes he needs to ask for help; this is a character trait that he shares with me. However, when he came in from school yesterday, he didn't bother to grab a snack or even take off his clothes, he simply fell across the bed and promptly slept for four hours.

I recall my senior year. I had a project for economics. It had been assigned at the beginning of the school semester, and I blew it off thinking, "really how difficult can this project be." My economics instructor polite told the entire class that none of the seniors would graduate if the project was not complete. "Holy cow," I said to myself, "she's talking about me." I went home, started my project, and it was 7:00 a.m. the next day before I finished typing the last entry for the project. I had pulled my first all nighter. Well, I continued to pull all nighters straight through undergraduate, my professional career, and graduate school. But when I finished my dissertation, I promised never to be awake when the birds started singing unless I was rising from a restful night of sleep. Thus far, I have kept my promise (unless I am on a transatlantic flight). I pulled all nighters in graduate school because I had a toddler, and I could never start my work until after he went to bed, which usually wasn't until 11:00 p.m. But now, you won't catch me up all night, not for any reason in the world.

However, I am happy that my son is disciplined and diligent. I just wish that he would allow me to help him in his senior English class so that he could slam dunk and earn that A. Oh, well, I suppose it is what it is, and I'll just leave him alone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What leads you to believe that your assistance would guarantee an "A"? :-)

M.L. Simms said...

Well, my assistance won't guarantee an A, but I want to believe that he'd be closer to receiving one if I helped him. Wait a minute, yes it will guarantee an A unless the teacher is being biased. Oh, no, did I write that. I need to refocus myself and stay out of my son's work. He was working on a project on Oscar Wilde last night, and I said, "Oscar Wilde was a little risque." My son looked up and said, "did you say he was gay?" Hum, no I didn't say that, but obviously from his reading of Wilde, my son must have intuited Wilde's sexual orientation. So I suppose my son doesn't need my assistance after all. :-)

E. said...

Even if he didn't get an A, he may benefit more in the long run from learning to create and complete his own paths with his work.

Hey...I wish I had that kind of professor power at my crib when I was in class.....i'm just sayin...