Saturday, April 12, 2008

Cherry Blossom Festival, Rain, and Lazy Saturday

Nothing is going on today. Intended to catch Ethelbert Miller at the Library of Congress, then conduct some research, and later on swing by the Tidal Basin to attend the Cherry Blossom Festival. But the best laid plans go awry. I walked to and from Starbucks today, and upon arriving home intended to shower and take a short nap. When I awakened again, it was 12:45 p.m. and raining hard.

I rose and warmed up some lunch, grabbed some butter cookies, and climbed back in bed with my laptop and a copy of Quincy Troupe's collection of poems, "The Architecture of Language." It was a long week: interviewing with Internal Affairs at the Fairfax County Sheriff Department, giving a presentation on "Richard Wright's 'The Long Dream': Desire and the Protocols of Race," and editing an essay "Writing Nation: Giovanni, Sanchez, and Lorde and the Black Arts Movement" that I will send out before April 30, 2008.

So I guess that I'm tired. I'm trying not to feel guilty for sitting around today when my lawn needs cutting and the hedges need trimming. Nonetheless, I think I will stay in and do nothing.

2 comments:

Judy said...

It is very important to do nothing sometimes. Buddha would agree! And inner work, growth and healing are accomplished in our sleep while we dream, as you know!
Namaste
Judy

M.L. Simms said...

Judy, thanks. We must get together soon.